I have a friend in the hospital recovering from a bad car accident, and of course a hubby overseas...so I made some care packages today. I tried something new this time...canned cake! It should stay good for a couple months since the jars are sealed. For those of you who have a special someone at an APO, or just want to send a friend a yummy homemade gift that won't go bad in the mail, here is my "secret".
I put melted butter and brown sugar in the bottom of 4 clean half pint jars. Then I covered the bottom of the jar with diced pineapple and maraschino cherries.
Then I covered the pineapple and cherries with white cake mix.
I baked them on a cookie sheet for ... ummm... about 30 minutes give or take. I don't actually remember, I just kept watching them until a toothpick came out clean :) They looked like this...
Then I cut the tops off (and ate them!)
I boiled the lids for about 45 seconds and then sealed the jars. They look pretty, and hopefully they taste as good as they look!
You have some of the greatest ideas!! FUN!!! Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!!
ReplyDelete